Monday, 11 April 2011

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Title: Perfect Chemistry
Author: Simone Elkeles
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Age Group: Young-adult
Hardcover: 368
Challenge: Howarts Reading Challenge 2011
2011- Young Adult Reading Challenge



Rating: 5- Amazing!! I want to read it again!

Goodreads summary:

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.

Review:

I love this novel, it was just so amazing! I couldn't put it down. This is the first novel that I have read by Elkeles and I can honestly say that I can’t wait to read her other novels. Her writing just flows so easily and I found myself reading way more pages than I thought I actually had.

This story was so powerful and way better than I had expected it to be, I loved every second of this novel. It made me laugh and cry! And that’s what I love in a book, I want it to make me feel all different types of emotions because then it leaves some sort of impact on me.

I love how the story was told in the two different points of view. My first thought about Brittany was I was going to be reading about someone who is the queen bee and has her head stuck up her ass, but I was pleasantly surprised. Brittany had so much depth and she was complicated. She seemed more like a real person not the stereotype cheerleader. Alex was another character that surprised me, he was a gangster and once again he wasn’t the stereotypical gangster, he was so much more than that and that’s what I loved about his character. I loved watching them change and grow into something better.

I loved how the novel showed the realism of what gangs can be like and how not everyone who is in a gang is there by choice. It showed the cruelty and brutality of the Latino gang life in an incredibly honest way. Elkeles seriously did her homework for this novel and that made it all the more better knowing that she wrote about things that she had gone and researched herself and seen it firsthand.

This novel will get under your skin, it’s not just a love story and the story that gives a life lesson that we should never judge someone by the colour of their skin, where they live, how they act and what they are. This is a beautiful novel that will stick with you long after you’ve read the last page.

Plot 5/5
Character 5/5
Cover 5/5
Ending 5/5

..........
Rating System


Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.com
Barnes and Noble

Simone Elkeles' website

3 comments:

  1. LOVED it too! I kept avoiding it for the longest time but it was so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this book and I'm planning on reading it soon. The story sounds compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is such a rave review. I've only heard good things about this book... maybe I should add it to my wishlist. :) Thanks for the post! :)

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...