Saturday, 30 October 2010

Night World, No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Enchantress (Night World, #1-3) by L.J. Smith

Title: Night World, No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Enchantress (Night World, #1-3)
Author: L.J. Smith
Published by: Hodder Children's Books
Genre: Young-adult, paranormal romance
Paperback: 593 pages



Rating: 5- Amazing!! I want to read it again!

Goodreads summary:

Vampires, werewolves, witches, shape shifters -- they live among us without our knowledge. Night World is their secret society, a secret society with very strict rules. And falling in love breaks all the laws of the Night World.

In Secret Vampire, Poppy thought the summer would last forever. Then she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Now Poppy's only hope for survival is James, her friend and secret love. A vampire in the Night World, James can make Poppy immortal. But first they both must risk everything to go against the laws of Night World.

Fugitives from Night World, three vampire sisters leave their isolated home to live among humans in Daughters of Darkness. Their brother, Ash, is sent to bring the girls back, but he falls in love with their beautiful friend.

Two witch cousins fight over their high school crush. It's a battle between black magic and white magic in Enchantress.

Review:

I really enjoyed the Night World volume one. It’s contains the first three stories in the Night World series, Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness and Enchantress. Each of the three is a unique story of forbidden love. Every time I read one I wanted to read the next. I think I must have fallen in love with nearly all of main male characters in each of the stories.

The first story in the series is Secret Vampire; it was a great story to start the series with. It tells the story of James and Poppy, best friends since childhood. I found the story very interesting, for one it gave a new type of vampire ‘Lamia’, which are vampire that can age and have children but can choose when they want to stop aging. So I enjoyed learning about the new type vampires, but at the same time the story line still reached out and wanted me to keep reading. I loved the romance, how James was fighting to save Poppy from dyeing of pancreas cancer and not taking no for an answer; because over the years they had basically both fallen in love with each other. A classic case of best friend’s falling in love.

The second story in the series is Daughters of Darkness; out of the three stories in the first volume this one has to be my favourite. I just feel in love with Mary Lynette and Ash’s relationship. I don’t know if it was the rejection or her kicking him in the shin multiple times that made me want to read more and see if they would finally get together or not in the end, but L.J. Smith brilliant job writing the suspense. I did have one problem with the story though the ending was just disappointing, after all that they had been through Mary Lynette wanted him to make emends for all the bad thing that he had done before he met her. Don’t get me wrong I understand why she wanted him to do that, but it just made the story feel like it hadn’t ended properly.

And last but not least the third story in the series Enchantress. For me it was a good story but it wasn’t my favourite. The characters were well rounded and interesting, but there was just something a bit disappointing with the romance especially after the great romance in the last story. But I will say that the romance in this story was a different type of romance from the last one and it was special in its own way.

Verdict:

Overall the book was very entertaining and fun to read, but I do think that maybe Enchantress and Daughters of Darkness should have been change around in the order and the story would have had a better feeling to it.

Plot 5/5
Characters 5/5
Cover 5/5
Ending 4/5

..........
Rating System

Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.com

L.J. Smith's website

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty good! Thanks for the review. I like how to individually rate certain aspects of the book. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...